The Winney Family
Copyright Carol Baxter 2012
Prepared for Jeanette Bradley (nee Winney)
Generation 3: Richard and Martha Winney
Richard Winney was born on 15 February 1775 at Letcombe Regis, Berkshire (now Oxfordshire), the sixth child born to James Winney and his wife Olympia Sidwell. He was baptised on 1 March 1775 at Letcombe Regis.
Richard married a woman named Martha probably in the early 1800s. According to her entry in the 1851 Census, Martha was born around 1776 in the parish of “Lily”, Berkshire – perhaps Kingston Lisle (or even East or West Isley) in Berkshire.
At some stage after their marriage the couple settled in the small parish of Ipsden in Oxfordshire, some 25 kilometres east of Letcombe Regis. At least three children appear to have been born prior to the couple’s relocation to Ipsden parish, while baptisms have been found for a further seven children in the registers of St Mary the Virgin Church of England, Ipsden (adjacent). The parish clerk recorded Whinney as the family’s surname in the Ipsden baptism register.
Richard was working as a labourer and the couple was residing at Stoke Row Liberty in Ipsden parish in 1820. When the 1851 Census was taken, Richard, his wife Martha and their granddaughter Maria Dawson (the eight-year-old daughter of their youngest daughter Charlotte) were residing at Ispden Field. Richard was described as a pauper, having previously worked as an agricultural labourer. Their granddaughter, Maria, was listed as a scholar.
Richard died in October 1857 and was buried on 25 October 1857 at Ipsden. He was noted as aged 84 at the time although only 82½. Martha’s death details have not been determined to date.
G3. Family of Richard and Martha Winney
1. James Winney
2. Hannah Winney
- Born [?]
- Married 14 December 1818 Ipsden to Edward Graham of North Stoke.
3. Martha Winney
- Born [?]
- Married 21 July 1822 Ipsden to James Hustin of Bensington.
4. Thomas Winney (see below Generation 4)
- Baptised 10 March 1805, Ipsden
- Married 18 August 1836, St Matthews Bethnal Green, London to Rebecca Infield.
- Died 1850s, Bethnal Green, London
5. Mary Winney
- Baptised 2 August 1807, Ipsden
6. Sarah Winney
- Baptised 29 April 1810, Ipsden
7. Maria Winney
- Baptised 6 December 1812, Ipsden
8. Lydia Winney
- Baptised 5 February 1815, Ipsden
9. John Winney
- Baptised 23 November 1817, Ipsden
10. Charlotte Winney
- Baptised 15 October 1820, Ipsden
- Married 22 October 1842 at Ipsden to James Dawson of North Stoke.