The Walter Family
Copyright Carol Baxter 2012
Prepared for Walter descendant Jeanette Bradley
Jacob Walter and Ann Brignell
Jacob Walter was born around 1770, although details of his parentage have not been determined to date. The International Genealogical Index for London and its surrounding districts records that a Jacob Walter, the son of Thomas and Isabella Walter, was baptised on 28 January 1768 at Kingston upon Thames, Surrey. It is also possible that Jacob was born outside London or that his baptism is not included in the IGI.
Jacob married Ann Brignell on 19 November 1796 at St Martin in the Fields, Westminster. Ann’s family background has not been researched to date. The Walters had six known children: John (1799), Lucy (1803), George (1804), James Frederick (1806), James (1807) and William (1809). They apparently resided in the parish of St Martin in the Fields between 1796 and 1807 and had moved to the parish of St George Hanover Square by 1809.
According to his son’s biography (see George Walter below), Jacob Walter was a respected licenced victualler and was one of the first members of the Incorporated Society of Licenced Victuallers established in 1794.
Jacob was recorded as a resident of Poppins Court when he died in January 1817, aged 47. He was buried on 22 January 1817 at St Bride, Fleet Street. Death details for his wife Ann have not been located to date.
Family of Jacob Walter and Ann Brignell
1. John Walter
- Born 17 September 1799; baptised 10 November 1799, St Martin in the Fields, London.
2. Lucy Walter
- Born 26 March 1803; baptised 29 May 1803, St Martin in the Fields, London.
3. George Walter (see below)
- Born 25 March 1804; baptised 13 May 1804, St Martin in the Fields, London.
- Married 18 February 1836 at St Martin in the Fields, London, to Elizabeth Spencer.
- Died 13 October 1892 at Havelock House, Twickenham.
4. James Frederick Walter
- Born 26 January 1806; baptised 23 February 1806, St Martin in the Fields, London.
5. James Walter
- Born 29 January 1807; baptised 17 May 1807, St Martin in the Fields, London.
6. William Walter
- Born 4 Dec 1809; baptised 1 Jan 1810, St George, Hanover Square, London.
- Occupation: Victualler