Thomas James Winney was the son of Thomas Winney and Rebecca Infield. He was born on 21 May 1833 at Finsbury Market in Shoreditch, London, and was baptised on 29 December 1833, St Leonards, Shoreditch. His family relocated to Bethnal Green within the following two years where Thomas spent the remainder of his childhood. His family home was at 9 Northampton Street, Bethnal Green.
Thomas was working as a clerk to a stock and share broker in 1851 when the census was taken. He continued to reside with his parents in Northampton Street.
In 1855 Thomas married Clara Maria Sims. Clara was born around the year 1835 in Holywell, Oxford City, Oxfordshire to John Simms (c1809-1848) and Clara Maria Campion (born 1809 Marcham, Berkshire) to Jonathan Campion and Mary Green (married 13 November 1808 Marcham). Thomas and Clara had a large family with ten known children as shown below.
Thomas Winney proved successful in the business world. He was recorded as a clerk to a stockbroker in 1861. The Winneys were residing in a single family dwelling at 5 Eleanor Cottages, Hackney at that time with their two youngest children, Thomas and Clara, and a housemaid from Oxford, 17 year-old Mary Jane Baylis. Their eldest son, James, was residing at the house of his grandmother, Clara Sims, at 37 Bread Street, St Mary Magdalene Parish, Oxford, when the 1861 census was taken, along with some of his Sims aunts and uncles.
By 1871 Thomas had become a Member of the Stock Exchange. The Winneys had moved to 9 Grove[?] Road, Wanstead, Essex and had three servants: Harriet Boughen, a 60 year-old cook, and housemaids Mary Hothing, aged 18, and Elizabeth J Howard, aged 16.
Thomas continued a Member of the Stock Exchange in 1881 however the family had moved to Grove Road in Sutton, Surrey. They were employing a 20 year-old cook, Elizabeth Blackwall, and a housemaid, 18 year-old Mary A Fold, who was born in Malta. In 1888, when their son Walter Henry was baptised as an eighteen year-old, the family was living at 108 Wickham Road, Lewisham with Thomas listed as a stock broker.
By 1891 Thomas was “living on own means” and residing at 66 Comerford Road, Brockley, in the Lewisham district, with his wife and five of their children. At least one other family was residing in the same dwelling.
Thomas James Winney died on 6 April 1894 at their Comerford Road address. Probate was granted to his widow on 14 April 1894, with his effects being valued at £241.
Clara was still living at the same address in 1897 according the Lewisham Electoral Roll, which listed her residence as providing her entitlement to vote. She died in 1910 in the Lewisham district.
G5. Family of Thomas James Winney and Clara Maria Simms
1. James Arthur Winney (see Generation 6)
- Born 18 Jul 1856, 2 Carlton Rd, Mile End, London
- Baptised 28 Sep 1856 Wycliffe Congregational Church, London
- Clerk in 1871
- Married Millicent Wilson, 16 September 1884, West Maitland, NSW
- Died 5 August 1943, Manning River District Hospital, NSW
2. Thomas John Winney
- Born c1858, Hackney, London.
- Clerk to Tea Merchant in 1871
- Married Susan
- Had issue: Thomas (1880-1880), Arthur John (1881-1881), Robert William (1883), Ellen K (1885), Walter L (1887-1889), Susan Clara (1890), Charles H (1893-1894), Walter (1897), Albert
3. Clara Elizabeth Winney
- Born c1860, Mile End/Hackney, London.
- Organist in 1881; Teacher of Music in 1891
- Reportedly gave piano lessons twice weekly to the children of the Lord Mayor of London and died late 1930s aged 79
4. Louisa E Winney
- Born c1863, Hackney, London.
- Photographer[?] Artist
- Married Barraclough
5. Alice Mary Winney
- Born c1867, Wanstead, Essex.
- Married 6 Mar 1895 at St Jude’s, Randwick NSW to Walter Harry Hunt
6. Hellener Winney
- Born c1868, Wanstead, Essex.
7. Walter Henry Winney
- Born 7 Nov 1870, Wanstead, Essex.
- Baptised 22 Jan 1878, Lewisham Church of England, Kent
- Passenger Agent in 1891
- Emigrated to NSW
- Died 1940 Mayfield NSW
8. Maud W Winney
- Born c1871, Wanstead, Essex.
- Married Alex Rumble:
- Had issue: Winney, Douglas and Gordon
9. Albert Edward Winney
- Born c1873, Wanstead, Essex.
- Married 16 Jul 1895 Cowra NSW to Elizabeth June Scott
- Had issue: Edward J (1896), Margaret C (1899)
10. Sydney George Winney
- Born c1874, Wanstead, Essex.
- Apprentice Book[?] in 1891
- Married Constance Gertrude Hill, 1902
- Had issue: Theodora, Irene Joyce and Geoffrey Thomas